Category Archives: Sports

Sports

Happy to play a small part in bringing cricket back to Pakistan: Faf Du Plessis

South Africa’s Test and T20 captain Faf Du Plessis, while talking to Dawn on Saturday, said that he’s happy to play a small part in bringing cricket back to Pakistan.

“I imagine that the Pakistani people would be super excited because they’ve been waiting for this for a lot of years,” Du Plessis said, adding that he understands that the World XI coming to Pakistan is a “huge thing” for the country.

Du Plessis, who will captain the World XI side in a three-match T20 series in Lahore mid-September, said that he’s “looking forward to the whole experience”, and that his teammate and Pakistani-origin spinner Imran Tahir has promised him a lot of different food experiences.

“It would be really fun for us as a team to go there and be a part of this experience of almost being pioneers of bringing cricket back to Pakistan,” he said.

Remembering his experience of visiting Pakistan with the Under-19 Proteas side, he recalled the weather being “extremely hot” but was hopeful of a better experience this time around as the matches will be played in the evening.

Players in the World XI squad include South Africa’s premier batsman Hashim Amla, his team-mate leg-spinner Imran Tahir, the African country’s middle-order batsman David Miller and its pace spearhead Morne Morkel, former West Indies captain and T20 specialist Darren Sammy who also led Peshawar Zalmi to victory in this year’s Pakistan Super League final, dashing Bangladesh opener Tamim Iqbal, former England captain Paul Collingwood and Sri Lankan all-rounder Thisara Perera.

Pakistan side will be captained by Sarfraz Ahmed.

Twitter Reactions after Pakistan got Champions Trophy title

A maiden ODI century by Fakhar Zaman and a breath-taking spell of new ball bowling by fast bowler Mohammad Amir helped Pakistan crush arch-rivals India in the final at The Oval on Sunday as they lifted the ICC Champions Trophy for the first time.

India captain Virat Kohli won the toss and opted for bowl first, but his decision back-fired as the Men in Green took full advantage of the perfect batting conditions by posting a mammoth 339-run target in their allotted 50 overs.
Hasan Ali: the hero of the ordinary
The star of the show was young opener Fakhar, who scored a whirlwind 114 off just 106 balls with the help of 12 fours and three sixes.

He was well-supported by fellow opener Azhar Ali (59) and veteran all-rounder Mohammad Hafeez (57 not out), who contributed timely half-centuries.

Chasing a record 339 to defend their title, India were rocked early, thanks to fiery spell by Amir, who claimed the Men in Blues’ first three wickets in his opening five overs.
Celebrations started all over the world after an outstanding match between India and Pakistan. Pakistan won with a great performance.

Whole Pakistan and its supporters worldwide ran to streets to celebrate Pak win.

Twitter saw some great glimpses of the people enjoying.

 

Not only in Pakistan but in other parts of the world we saw great moments of celebrations.

 

 

We saw some great examples of Sportsman spirit between Indians and Pakistanis in England. Ahmad Noorani tweets:

ICC caught a wonderful clip of Shaoib Malik having fun with Virat Kohli and other Indian Players after the win. Everyone loved the spirit.

Kashmiris were not left behind in Celebrating the success of Pakistan in ICC Champions Trophy

Kashmiris were seen chanting Jeeway Jeeway Pakistan too after they went on to streets to celebrate the success.

Rishi Kapoor who got anger of millions after tweeting silly comments against Pakistan accepted his mistake:

Pak India Final Match. All your questions answered.

LONDON – Pakistan will take on defending champion India in the Champions Trophy 2017 final clash on Sunday at The Oval, London. All the tiny details you want to know is given here.

When is it?

Sunday June 18.

Where is it?

The Oval, in London.

Match Timing?

The match will begin at 2:30pm (PST), 2:00pm (IST) and 10:30 am local time (GMT)

Where to watch?

Pakistan : PTV Sports, Ten Sports.

India: DD National (Only Indian matches), Star Sports 1, Star Sports HD1, Star Sports 2, Star Sports HD2, Star Sports 3, Star Sports HD3

England:Sky Sports 2 will have live coverage of the match, with build up starting at 10am.

What’s the weather forecast?

The rain played a significant role in Australia’s exit from the competition, but the sun has been out for the majority of this week and the forecast is great for Sunday.

The weatherman says we should expect lots of sun, highs of 28C and very little chance of rain.

What happened in the group match?

Both the teams have already played each other in this competition – it was their first match of the Champions Trophy and took place on 4 June.

India posted an impressive 319/3, before rain shortened the match and Pakistan were set a revised target of 289 to win in 41 overs. They fell well short, and were bowled out for just 164.

What’s fans’ prediction?

Pakistan’s 60 per cent chances while India 40 per cent to win.

Squads

PAKISTAN (probables)

Sarfraz Ahmed (cap, wk),  Azhar Ali, Babar Azam, Shoaib Malik, Fahim Ashraf, Imad Wasim, Mohammad Hafiz, Mohammad Amir, Junaid Khan, Shadab Khan, Hasan Ali, Fakhar Zaman.

INDIA (probables)

Virat Kohli (capt), R Ashwin, Jasprit Bumrah, Shikhar Dhawan, MS Dhoni (wk), Ravindra Jadeja,  Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Rohit Sharma, Hardik Pandya, Umesh Yadav, Yuvraj Singh, Mohammed Shami.